2012年12月10日月曜日

BOOK: R. J. Sacks, A Letter in the Scroll

Rabbi Jonathan Sacks
(Chief Rabbi of the United Hebrew Congregation of the Commonwealth)
A Letter in the Scroll: Understanding Our Jewish Identity and Exploring the Legacy of the World's Oldest Religion
New York: Free Press, 2000



   I was a student on my own personal journey, searching for an understanding of Judaism. My travels took me to New York, where for the first time I met one of the world's great Jewish leaders, the Lubavitcher Rebbe, Rabbi Menachem Mendel Schneersohn. We met and talked, and I was deeply impressed. For the next few days I was in a state of turmoil. I now felt the pull of Jewish spirituality as never before. But could I really embrace this life, which seemed so narrow after the broad expanses of Western culture? Where in this world was there a place for Mozart and Milton, Beethoven and Shakespeare? Where in this focused existence was there room for the glittering achievements of the European mind? I wrote a note to the Rebbe and told him of my conflict. I wanted to live more fully as a Jew, but at the same time I was reluctant to give up my love of art and literature, music and poetry, most of which had been created by non-Jews and had nothing to do with Judaism.
   The Rebbe wrote me back an answer in the form of a parable. Imagine, he said, two people, both of whom have spent their lives carrying stones. One carries rocks, the other diamonds. Now imagine that they are both asked to carry a consignment of emeralds. To the man who has spent his life transporting rocks, emeralds too are rocks--a burden, a weight. After a lifetime, that is how he sees what he is asked to carry. But to the man who has spent his life carrying diamonds, emeralds too are precious stones--different, to be sure, but still things of value and beauty. So it is, he said, with different civilizations and faiths. To the person for whom faith is just a burden, so too are other faiths. He does not value his own. How then can he value someone else's? But to the person to whom his own faith is precious, so too are others. Because he cherishes his own, he values someone else's. His may be diamonds, the other emeralds, but he sees the beauty in each. So, the Rebbe ended, in most cases if not all you will find that your attachment to Judaism will heighten your appreciation of the gifts of other cultures. In other words, the more deeply you value what is yours, the more you will value the achievements of others.
(pp. 209-211)